Fire Rules and Safety
Members of the public concerned for their safety or safety of their property due to a fire should always call 111.
As of 8am on the 28th of May, 2020 Marlborough South and the Kaikōura District moved into an OPEN fire season.
The change of fire season status also includes the urban areas of Blenheim, Renwick, Seddon, Ward and Kaikōura.
These changes will place all of Marlborough and Kaikōura into an open fire season, except for Department of Conservation land (Public Controlled Land) which will remain in a Restricted Fire season.
You will still need to take all due care when burning ensuring that you don’t leave fires unattended.
Fire and Emergency NZ are responsible for managing fire safety in NZ, including fires on or near our beaches and coastal areas. Council works with FENZ to ensure our communities are aware of any fire regulations and know what they should or should not do.
Fire and Emergency ask everyone to follow safe fire practices at all times. They provide the following general advice:
- you must not light a fire in fire risk conditions that make it likely that the fire will spread beyond the limits of the location or property
- immediately before lighting the fire, you must make reasonable efforts to confirm that no fire bans are in place
- no fire is to be lit within 5 metre of any part of any building, fence, tree, hedge, shelter-belt or other combustible material
- extinguish all fires after burning. Rake out and apply water
- no fire is to be left unattended while burning and should be checked/patrolled until it is completely out.
- Check the current fire season status
- Authorised Fire Types that do not require a fire permit
- For local rural fire information call Graham Lamond 0274577422
04 June 2020