Improving parking in Kaikōura
Over December changes have been made to parking rules around the town centre to help improve traffic flows and make sure parking with appropriate time limits is available where it is needed most. Most of our road markings have now been redone and new signs will be in place by Christmas.
Thank you for your patience while this work has been underway - the unseasonable wet weather caused some delays but all line marking should be complete by Christmas.
All parking rules apply from 8.30am- 5.30pm.
Parking meters in West End will be reprogrammed to the summer parking fees on December 21st.
To allow locals and visitors time to adjust to the changes, the parking rules will be enforced from 3rd January.
- Standardizing the parking bay length to 7 metres where possible (to accommodate larger vehicles)
- Reducing the bus parking in West End to two bus stops plus two 120 minute bus parks
- Changes to some of the time limits along West End and around the Civic Centre to help make sure parking with appropriate time limits is available where it is needed most.
- Providing five parks capable of accommodating large motorhomes in West End car park
- Providing designated parks for electric vehicles only in West End car park (by the chargers)
- Providing time limit parks at the northern end of Deal Street for Civic Centre visitors
How did we get here?
Council is on a journey to improve parking throughout the district.
Step 1: Adopt the new parking bylaw - late 2018
Step 2: Improve the arrangements around the town centre – late 2018.
Step 3: Improve parking arrangements in other areas of the district – 2019 + ongoing.
A new traffic bylaw was consulted on through September, with submissions heard at the October Council meeting. It was adopted at the November Council meeting. It allows Council to adopt parking rules at any of their future meetings. This gives both residents and Council staff the option to raise individual parking issues with Council as needed.
21 December 2018