Changing Speed Limits in Kaikoura
Council is reviewing road speeds around Kaikōura.
As Kaikōura has grown and changed, so has the traffic on our roads. This means some of our current speed limits are no longer as safe as they should be. Proposed changes include slower speeds around schools, through the centre of town and in several high traffic areas.
The proposed speed changes are the result of an independent review of our road network undertaken by an independent contractor, Harrison Grierson (HGT2). The changes also take into account NZTAs advice on safe speed limits.
The proposed speed limit changes are:
- A 30km/hr speed limit on West End in town centre of Kaikōura.
View West End map
- A 50km/hr speed limit on local urban roads in the townships of the Kaikōura district.
View urban map | View township maps.
- 40km/hr Advisory Speed Signs in School Zone areas for Kaikōura Primary School, Kaikōura High School, St Joseph’s School and Kaikōura Suburban School.
View school zone map
- A 50km/hr speed limit on Ludstone Road between the Kaikōura urban boundary and Mt Fyffe Road.
View Ludstone Road map
- An 80km/hr speed limit on:
These proposed options are now out for consultation. The consultation closes 5pm 16 August 2019. Hearing 22nd August 2019.
To have your say:
Form not working?
2 July 2019