Join the small Council working to help Kaikōura move forward as a great place to live.
Kaikōura District Council is considered the smallest Council on mainland NZ (the Chatham Islands Council is the only NZ Council smaller than us). While our population base of just 3,621 permanent residents makes us the ‘smallest', many of our achievements have left the ‘big' Council's following in our footsteps.
Between 2018 and 2021 we're tackling some big work programmes that take on some of our District’s biggest issues and meet our community needs and legal responsibilities.
Council is here to help create a district that can move forward as a great place to live, with a strong, well-connected community that is ecologically exemplary and economically prosperous.
We offer you a place to work in a spectacular district nestled between the mountains and the sea, without any of the hassles of a big city. Suited to people who enjoy the outdoors and marine activities, Kaikōura has fabulous scenery, boutique shopping, fishing, diving, cycling, walking and beaches.
Needed: people with the skills, knowledge and experience to assist this organisation to meet its objectives as agreed with Council on an annual basis. IWK is a Council Controlled Organisation that is in the business of waste minimisation and maintaining and managing public amenities. The company’s main services are:
- Waste minimisation and management through provision of recycling services, resource recovery and landfill management.
- Environmental rehabilitation preservation and development through the Trees for Travellers program.
- Maintaining water and waste water infrastructure predominantly for local authorities.
- Maintaining public toilets and amenities in Kaikōura.
- Parks and Reserves.
- Consideration may be given to provide services for other private and public activities.
- Meet regularly to monitor and manage IWK’s governance and performance
- Ensure that appropriate reporting systems are in place and maintained to provide adequate and timely information to the Board
- Approve the annual business plan, budget and capital expenditure, in accordance with IWK policy
- Ensure that the Board has a formal schedule of matters and authorities referred to it for decision to ensure that the direction and management of IWK is in the hands of the Board
- Ensure that a clearly accepted division of responsibilities (governance versus operational) exists between the Board and the General Manager to provide a balance of power and authority so that no one individual has unfettered powers of decision
- Encourage fresh perspectives and views on the Board by involving new directors and ensuring that their views are given proper consideration and weight
- Present to Council balanced and understandable assessments/reports, as required, on the performance and position of IWK.
Applications close: When all positions are filled. (Applications should include a CV and cover letter.)
Needed: someone special to fill a 6 month fixed term position providing coordination and administration support for Kaikōura District Council Communications
We need someone who can multi-task and finds it easy to keep several different jobs on the go at once. Someone who can connect easily and quickly with the full range of Kaikōura residents and ‘walk in their shoes’, helping ensure Council is providing the right kinds of information, in the right ways, to the right people.
This includes: writing stories and news, designing collateral and pulling together information from Council, partner agencies and community sources and delivering it to people's doorsteps via a number of channels (community meetings and supporting materials, physical noticeboards, newsletters, website, social media). You’ll be writing content, looking after our social media and website, planning workshops and events, taking photos, making videos and a multitude of other tasks.
- producing Council email newsletter
- growing the community on Council's facebook page
support Council teams by creating fliers, posters, website and social media content that promotes council services, meetings and consultations
helping with the intranet and internal communications
Apply: Libby.Clifford@kaikoura.govt.nz or 027 562 6669
Applications close: Thursday 31 January 2019.
Needed: someone to ensure the delivery of transport services to our community, including the management, maintenance and development of our roading, parking, cycling and footpath assets and network.
You need to have:
- at least three year'experience with primary responsibility for planning and delivery of transport services to communities
- a demonstrable record of delivering and maintaining asset management systems and processes - particularly the RAMM system
- a proven track-record of planning for future needs of infrastructure and facilities
- good written and verbal communication skills including the ability to prepare accurate, readable and comprehensive reports, strategies, plans, programmes and contract documents
- proven, successful experience of the financial management of allocated budgets.
- deliver transport services to the community
- manage, maintain and develop Council's roading, parking, cycling and footpath assets and networks to provide affordable and appropriate services to the community
- provide advice and planning for Council owned and managed transport facilities
- ensure transport assets are repaired and rebuilt through the rebuild process in a way that is appropriate for the future needs of the district
- provide support and advice to other Council teams requiring input about Council transport assets
- be a pro-active member of the Works and Services team.
If you think this sounds like you and you truly relish a challenge, we'd love to hear from you!
Apply: KDC@kaikoura.govt.nz or PO Box 6, Kaikōura, 7340
Applications close: Monday 04 February 2019