News and Media
We keep our community up to date through regular newsletters, media releases and content in local newspapers.
On this page you can sign up for future newsletters, check out past editions and send us stories that you think could be included in future editions.
Occasionally the Council will release information through a media release which is sent to key media and community contacts. This information is an official release from the Council which can be reproduced by media and journalists.
Past media releases
- 3 July: Responsible Camping Working Group to be formed
- 2 July KDC & Kaikōura Sport and Recreation Recovery Leadership Team: Survey dives into what Kaikōura community wants in a new pool
- 17 May: Council welcomes budget 2018 funding announcement
- 18 April: Partnership, innovation and excellence recognised as Kaikōura District Council wins big at the SOLGM Awards 2018
- 20 March: Kaikōura District Council supports planned NZTA Kaikōura deviation
- 16 March: Kaikōura District Council Discounted Consents for Solid and Liquid Fuel Heaters
Hardcopy newsletter - 'Community Update'
What: A monthly A4 newsletter created in collaboration with NCTIR and a number of local community groups such as the Youth Council.
Features short stories and updates on key people, events and issues.
Shares key information only.
Themed around the groups within our community (youth or elderly) or subjects/events/activities that mean something to our District (the environment, sustainability).
When: Delivered mid-month. Began in March 2018
Who: Goes to: over 1600 residences.
Stories from: Council, community groups and leaders.
Email newsletter - 'Council and Community'
What: Stories and information from the community and from council. Includes anything the community might want or need to know from anyone who wants to submit a story; events, local projects, stories about life in our District or offers and requests for help.
When: Sent mid-month. Began in July 2017
Who: Goes to over 2,000 subscribers
Stories from: Residents, businesses, Council, community groups and leaders
Email newsletter - 'Building and Regulatory'
Details to come.
Past newsletter editions
- July 2018 - Email Newsletter: Jam packed with community updates
- July 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Waste and sustainability
- June 2018 - Email Newsletter: Community and Council updates
- June 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Community update
- May 2018 - Email Newsletter: Draft 3 Year Plan out for consultation and community updates
- May 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Draft 3 Year Plan
- May 2018 - Building Sector Newsletter: Legislation, inspections, technical talk, as is where is
- April 2018 - Email Newsletter: About our 3 Year Plan, Drinking Water and Community Central!
- April 2018 - Hardcopy newsletter: Elderly
- March 2018 - Email Newsletter: 3 Year Plans, Publications and Pontoons
- March 2018 - Hardcopy newsletter: Youth
Send us a story
- keep it short – a max of 150 words if possible
- include a photo/image
- include links to more information if you have them – i.e. link it back to your own websites or social media accounts where possible.
By sending in content, you agree that:
- Content may be featured on KDC social media/media accounts (as well as newsletters)
- You give permission for us to use all images sent in
- KDC can edit your content to fit design guidelines (especially for hardcopy due to space)
- Commercial advertising will not be included however promotion of community, charity or not-for-profit activities or groups in encouraged