News and Media
We keep our community up to date through regular newsletters, media releases and more. Through this page you can sign up for future releases, check out past editions and check for other places you can keep up to date with us.
Council produces a number of electronic newsletters & updates to keep the Kaikōura community informed with Council information, rebuild updates and local events.
What: Stories and information from the community and from council. Includes anything the community might want or need to know from anyone who wants to submit a story; events, local projects, stories about life in our District or offers and requests for help.
When: Sent end of month. Began in July 2017
Who: Goes to over 2,000 subscribers
Stories from: Residents, businesses, Council, community groups and leaders
What: Short weekly emails that only have information about the things you are most interested in.
When: Sent weekly. Began in December 2018
Who: Goes to over 2,000 subscribers
Stories from: Council
- June 2019 - Email newsletter: Annual plan adopted, speed limit review and Community Charitable Trust formed to lead the pool project
- May 2019 - Email newsletter: Repair and rebuild progress, responsible dog ownership and a polar plunge
- April 2019 - Email newsletter: Consultation opens, construction starts and camping winds down
- March 2019 - Email newsletter: March news
- February 2019 - Email newsletter: Rubbish, water, roadworks and ANZAC plans
- January 2019 - Email newsletter: Progress towards a pool
- December 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Final edition
- December 2018 - Email Newsletter: Merry Christmas and a safe and happy summer!
- November 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Two years on
- November 2018 - Email Newsletter: Earthquake Anniversary - Two years on
- October 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Civil Defence in Kaikōura and getting ready for an emergency.
- September 2018 - Email Newsletter: Rebuild updates, consultations, local events, activities and news
- September 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Horizontal Infrastructure Rebuild Update
- August 2018 - Email Newsletter: Roads, rates, celebrating mountain climbing
- August 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Arts in the community
- July 2018 - Email Newsletter: Jam packed with community updates
- July 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Waste and sustainability
- June 2018 - Email Newsletter: Community and Council updates
- June 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Community update
- May 2018 - Email Newsletter: Draft 3 Year Plan out for consultation and community updates
- May 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Draft 3 Year Plan
- May 2018 - Building Sector Newsletter: Legislation, inspections, technical talk, as is where is
- April 2018 - Email Newsletter: About our 3 Year Plan, Drinking Water and Community Central!
- April 2018 - Hardcopy newsletter: Elderly
- March 2018 - Email Newsletter: 3 Year Plans, Publications and Pontoons
- March 2018 - Hardcopy newsletter: Youth
We're happy to share news and information from anyone within our district.
- keep it short – a max of 150 words if possible
- include a photo/image
- include links to more information if you have them – i.e. link it back to your own websites or social media accounts where possible.
By sending in content, you agree that:
- Content may be featured on KDC social media/media accounts (as well as newsletters)
- You give permission for us to use all images sent in
- KDC can edit your content to fit design guidelines (especially for hardcopy due to space)
- Commercial advertising will not be included however promotion of community, charity or not-for-profit activities or groups in encouraged
- 11 December: Natural hazard responses help property owners move forward
- 09 November: Council Receives Lotteries Funding to Repair and Upgrade Memorial Hall
- 31 October: District Library now helping families set up low coast internet with Spark Jump
- 09 October: Council Gets Ready for Shake Out
- 09 October: Library now available anytime, anywhere
- 14 September: New information shows reduced risk from natural hazards
- 14 September: Council welcomes funding to help investigate solutions for freedom camping trouble spot.
- 24 August: Council and NZ Transport Agency: Kaikoura Communications recognised at national awards
- Image: Kaikōura District Council Communications and Engagement Manager, Libby Clifford accepting the award for excellence in recovery communications.
- 3 July: Responsible Camping Working Group to be formed
- 2 July Council & Kaikōura Sport and Recreation Recovery Leadership Team: Survey dives into what Kaikōura community wants in a new pool
- 17 May: Council welcomes budget 2018 funding announcement
- 18 April: Partnership, innovation and excellence recognised as Kaikōura District Council wins big at the SOLGM Awards 2018
- 20 March: Kaikōura District Council supports planned NZTA Kaikōura deviation
- 16 March: Kaikōura District Council Discounted Consents for Solid and Liquid Fuel Heaters
To request releases from 2017 please email us: email@example.com