Plans, Reports, Bylaws & Policies
Information about and links to our Annual Plans and Reports, Long-Term Plans, the District Plan and some of our key policies and bylaws.
On this page:
We're currently developing a 3 Year Plan to cover 2018-2021.
Long-term plans generally set out the Council’s intentions for the next decade. They are reviewed every 3 years to keep them relevant and accurate, keep them moving in the right direction and addressing community outcomes.
The Long-Term Plan in current use is the Kaikōura 2025 Long-term Plan, adopted on 29 June 2015. It is presented in two parts:
- Long Term Plan 2015-2025 Volume 1 (3.8MB) - a summary document
- Long Term Plan 2015-2025 Volume 2 (7.8MB) - detailed financial information
If you would like to be on our mailing list to receive a copy of future Long-term Plans, Annual Plans or Annual Reports please email us.
The draft 3 Year Plan 2018-2021 is all about making choices for the future of our District. Council has developed a plan that sets big work programmes to tackle some of our District’s biggest issues and meets our community’s needs and our legal responsibilities.
The Kaikōura District Council Annual Plan is a plan for the financial year (from 1 July to 30 June). It sets out how much Council can spend on its' different operations including the services for our community such as roads, water, sewerage, rubbish, etc. It also determines how much we borrow, and how much your rates will be.
The Annual Report compares what we did in a financial year to what we said we would do. It lets you know what we delivered and whether we met our budgets and performance targets.
The Kaikōura District Plan is currently being reviewed using a rolling review, read more here.
The current version of the plan has been operative since Monday 23 June 2008 and can be found below. Copies are also available in hard copy or on CD.
Table of Contents
District-Wide Issues, Objectives, Policies and Rules
5. Tangata Whanua Values
6. Recreation and Open Space
7. Development and Tourism
8. Natural Hazards
9. Hazardous Substances
11. Landscape and Amenity
14. Financial Contributions
15. Historic Heritage, Tree Protection, Archaeological Sites
16. Outdoor Advertising
17. Relocated & Temporary Buildings and Temporary Activities
Zones - Issues, Objectives, Policies and Rules
District Plan Decisions
The Kaikōura District Plan sets standards for development within our District. These standards aim to ensure natural resources and hazards are managed safely and sustainably and property rights and protected.
Downloadable PDF application documents:
- Easter Sunday Trading Policy 2017
- Trading in Public Places Policy 2015
- Procurement Policy
- Procurement Policy Addendum June 2015
- Development Contribution Policy
- Dog Control Policy
- Earthquake Prone, Dangerous & Unsanitary Buildings Policy
- Class 4 Gambling Venue Policy
- Smokefree Outdoor/Public Places Policy
- Walking & Cycling Strategy
- TAB Board Venue Policy
- Delegations Manual
- Compliments, Complaints and Requests for Service Policy 2018
The following policies are included in the Long Term Plan:
- Environmental & Social Sustainability Policy
- Equal Employment Opportunities Policy
- Investment Policy
- Liability Management Policy
- Public / Private Partnership Policy
- Rates Postponement Policy
- Rates Remission Policy
- Revenue & Financing Policy
- Significance Policy
Find out more information about general distribution and characteristics of active faults and folds in the Kaikōura District, North Canterbury.