Animal Control

If you have an issue with a dog/ livestock or other animal please call Animal Control 027 668 8780. This is the only number that can be used to contact Animal Control. 

On this page:


 Do's and Don'ts


  • Call 027 668 8780 if you find a lost/loose animal/dog. 
  •  Call 027 668 8780 if you lose or need help with controlling an animal/dog


  • Visit the homes of our Officers looking for your dog. Dog's are kept at the Council Pound, not at the home's of our Officers
  • Call any other number (including the personal numbers of our Officers) to contact Animal Control.
  • Expect to get your dog/animal back for free. If we impound a dog there will be a impound fee of $50 per night plus a $20 sustenance fee.  If your dog is unregistered when it is impounded it will not be released until registration is paid.

 Back to top


How Animal Control Works

KDC is responsible for registering and generally keeping an eye on dogs in our District. As part of this our Dog Control Officers are called out to deal with stray or loose dogs on a regular basis. 

Our Animal Control Offices work weekly shifts. The Officer on duty changes from week to week. 

What we do with dogs/animals we find. Council is required to impound any found dogs/animals. Impounded animals are not kept at the homes of any of our Animal Control Officers. Please do not visit the homes of our Officers looking for your dog. Instead, give them a call on 027 668 8780 and they’ll tell you what to do.

We work closely with the police to keep dogs, dog owners and our Animal Control Officers safe. We involve them when we need to and keep them up to date with any issues. For safety reasons, if Animal control Officers are called out after 5pm they may be accompanied by Police. 

If you lose your dog/animal ring the Duty Animal Control Officer on 027 668 8780. They’ll ask for information about the dog/animal and then let you know if/when they find it.

If you see a lost/loose dog/animal: ring the Duty Animal Control Officer on 027 668 8780. Do NOT approach any strange dogs yourself as it can be dangerous.

The purpose of the Dog Control Policy  is to provide clear guidance to the public and Council staff involved in the administration of the Dog Control Act 1996. It also outlines your responsibilities as a Dog owner.

Please share this information with anyone you know who has questions about Dog Control. If your questions aren’t answered here fell free to contact us and  we’ll get you the information you need.

Back to top 



All dogs registered in New Zealand for the first time after July 2006, except working farm dogs, need to be microchipped.

Microchipping helps us identify lost or stolen dogs and reunite dogs and owners. It is a simple and relatively painless procedure done by the vet. 

Over 80% of the lost pets in the Christchurch Earthquake were re-united with their owners due to information contained on the microchip

A microchip lasts the lifetime of your dog. It has a unique number that can be listed on both council records and the National Dog Database. Once microchipped, your dog can be "scanned" for his or her microchip number and easily identified through either database.

Once your dog is microchipped, make sure we have a record of the chip number by giving us a copy of the microchipping certificate. 

See our 'Useful Links' for more information on microchipping. 

Back to top


Dog Registration

All dogs in Kaikoura must be registered. Dog registrations won’t be issued until Council has received a completed registration form and payment. If you are found with an unregistered dog you may be issued with a fine and your dog may be impounded.

The dog registration year runs from 01 July to the 30 June each year. Dog registration forms and payment are due by July 31. Registered dog owners will receive a reminder letter.

Please note: We are no longer using the 'Reg the Dog' online registration service.  

Register your dog online


Download and print a Registration Form

Registration costs

If you are not sure what charges apply to you, call us. 

Type of Fee Cost per dog per year 
Standard $50
Neutered or spayed dogs $40
Menacing/dangerous dogs $80
Working dogs (less than three) $35 each
Working dogs (three or more) $110 total
Guide dogs -

Late registration penalties: 

Working dogs (three or more)

All others




Licence fee (Applies if keeping more than two dogs in a residential area)


*Charges can be adjusted proportionally for new dogs registered part way through the year - call us for more information. 

How to pay:

Please include payment for all dogs in one transaction.

  • by mail - send the completed and signed dog registration form and a cheque to Kaikoura District Council office, Level 2, 96 West End, Kaikoura .
  • over the counter - bring the completed and signed dog registration form and your cheque, cash, or eftpos to  the Kaikoura District Council office, Level 2, 96 West End, Kaikoura .
  • online - make a direct credit to Kaikoura District Council account number 02-0856-0011698-000. Please use "DogReg" followed by your dogs name as reference (if you have more than one dog, you only need to supply one name).


Where does the registration money go?

Your dog's registration fee helps fund the activities of the Council's Animal Control services. This means that the cost of providing a professional Animal Control service is shared between all dog owners.

What are the benefits of dog registration?

The Kaikoura District Council is required by law to ensure that all dogs within the Kaikoura District are registered. Registration indicates to the Council that the owner is aware of their legal responsibilities as a dog owner. These responsibilities are contained in the Dog Control Act 1996 and the Kaikoura District Councils Dog Control Bylaw 2015.

Registration tags:

Registered dogs receive a colour-coded tag that must be worn at all times on their collar. The colour changes each year. With this tag, your dog can be easily identified and returned to you if he is found wandering. Other registered dogs that may be upsetting your pet or causing you a problem to your family or property, can also be identified and incidents followed up with their owners.

If you dog lose its tag, there is a small charge to replace it. The replacement tag will have a new registration number.

Change of address:

If you change your address or give your dog to someone else to look after, either permanently or for longer than 14 days, you must tell us. If you and your dog change address but remain in the same Council area, please contact us within 14 days.

If you or your dog move to another area, find out what you need to do to transfer your registration by contacting the Council in that area (usually you will go into the new Council and simply swap your current registration tag for a new one in the new area) at no charge.

If your dog dies

If your dog dies, please notify the Council as soon as possible. Once we receive your notification, we will refund your registration for every full month remaining in the registration year. For example if your dog is currently registered and dies in September, provided that we have received notification during that same month, the registration fee will be refunded from October until the end of the financial year which is 30 June annually.


Puppies need to be registered by the time they are 12 weeks old (3 months). It is best to apply for your registration well before that date.

Working dogs:

Working dogs include disability assist dogs, police dogs and dogs used primarily for herding/driving stock. They do not include hunting dogs. 

Special permits:

If you live in a residential zone and own, or are keeping, more than two dogs you will need to apply for a permit for that property. You must apply by writing a letter to us.
A Dog Control Officer will visit your property. The history of you as a dog owner and that of your dogs will be taken into consideration; also the cleanliness and size of the kennelling facilities on your property.

If you move address or acquire a different dog, you will need to re-apply for another permit.

Back to top 


Dog Control Reports

Do you have any questions/comments about animal control? If so, get in touch by sending an e-mail to

Useful Links

Back to top