Natural Hazards and Land Damage

What is a natural hazard - according to the Building Act

The Building Act defines a natural hazard as land subjected to:

  • erosion (including coastal erosion, bank erosion, and sheet erosion)
  • falling debris (including soil, rock, snow, and ice)
  • subsidence
  • inundation (including flooding, overland flow, storm surge, tidal effects and ponding)
  • slippage.

A review of Council's District Plan is now underway, starting with a review of the natural hazards provisions.
More information available here District Plan Review - Our Homes, Our Hazards 

Hazards such as tsunamis or earthquakes are not regarded as natural hazards under the Building Act.

Occasionally natural hazards may not be identified in Project Information Memorandums (PIMs) associated with your building consents, and there may be a need for the BCA to determine whether or not natural hazard provisions apply.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) have recently produced a "Natural Hazards Decision Tree" associated with Determination 2017/048, which provides useful information in determining Natural Hazards Responsibilities

Council worked closely with Government agencies to address land damage and properties affected by natural hazards as a result of the 2016 earthquake. Work has largely focused on two key groups: properties issued s124 notices prohibiting entry because the rockfall hazard posed a risk to life, and properties affected by land damage along Lyell Creek.

Without assistance, Council was not in a financial position to provide financial assistance to affected landowners. In mid-May 2018 the government announced it would contribute an estimated $1.5million towards addressing natural hazards risk.

On 11 December 2018 Council announced decisions outlining how we will use the available funding to assist those facing intolerable life risk from rockfall. Ongoing work is required to implement the decisions.



Update December 2018

General guidance for property owners in Kaikoura

If your ability to live in our use your property has been affected, we recommend you contact the following agencies and seek their advice and support:

  • Your insurer and EQC to discuss your options
  • Ministry of Building Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for temporary accommodation information and help: phone 0508 754 163 / Email / Online
  • Ministry of Social Development (MSD) for wider social housing needs: phone 0800 559 009 / Online
  • Council’s Rebuild Navigator 03 319 5026 for help understanding and navigating your rebuild process.
  • Council’s building and regulatory staff 03 319 5026 for building advice. 

Papatea Fault

The Papatea Fault starts around 5km offshore and goes inland in the northern part of our district.

Check out GNS's video below with some scientific information about the fault and the changes to the landscape when it ruptured. 

03 April 2020