Cyclone Gabrielle Update @ 12.30 Pm Tuesday 14 February
At present the forecast remains the same for the Kaikōura District. We still have an Orange Heavy Rain warning and an Orange Strong Wind warning from midday today which is forecasted to be with us now until tomorrow mid-morning.
Rainfall rates are expected to rise later today and stay high overnight, but fortunately they are not forecasted to be very high for a sustained period. We are already seeing the arrival of high waves. This may cause travel issues later on SH1 North & South of Kaikōura at high tides.
We are continuing to monitor all of the above and will keep you updated. Our roads and water services teams will be consistently monitoring our network during this weather event.
• CLARENCE VALLEY SOUTHERN ACCESS (Wharekiri) was closed last night, due to heavy rain arriving earlier than expected.
• KINCAID WATER SCHEME users are advised that the intake had to shut down last night due to heavy rain. At this stage we expect that users will need to conserve water until at least Saturday, possibly Sunday.
Otherwise our advice remains the same as yesterday:
BE PREPARED FOR HIGH WINDS
Winds are forecasted to be slightly stronger than predicted yesterday. In case there are any power outages have your torches ready and check your batteries.
• Prepare your property & Livestock for high winds.
• Tie down your trampoline and other heavy outdoor objects. Remove anything that could become a damaging missile.
BE PREPARED FOR HEAVY RAIN
Rainfall is expected to be heavy. Our road and water services teams will be continuously monitoring.
• Move livestock from paddocks that are at risk from heavy rain
• Clear building gutters and drainage of leaves and debris to ensure good drainage
• Be aware of the potential of land slips on roads during and after the rain has passed.
Do not travel unless absolutely necessary. Check in on your neighbours and call emergency services on 111 if you see anything that is potentially life threatening. Call Council to report less urgent road, water services or land slips issues on 03 319 5026 (follow the prompts after hours).
POTENTIAL LOCAL ISSUES TO BE PREPARED FOR:
• PUHI PUHI ROAD and BLUE DUCK ROAD– risk of road closure due to slips. Residents on these roads are advised to check your emergency bag and ensure you have a supply of food and water for up to 3 days available in case this worst case scenario should happen. Puhi Puhi DOC campsite has been closed as a precaution.
• INLAND ROAD – bridges such as Linton Creek bridge may flood and become unpassable
• POSTMANS ROAD - Luke Creek (between McInnes Road and Mt Fyffe Road) and Waimangarara Fords may become unpassable. KDC’s contractor will close this road if there are any concerns. Residents should use alternative routes.
ADVICE ON STORM PREPARATION https://getready.govt.nz/en/emergency/storms
WAKA KOTAHI JOURNEY PLANNER https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic
METSERVICE WEATHER https://www.metservice.com/towns-cities/locations/kaikoura
NATIONAL STATE OF EMERGENCY
The Minister for Emergency Management declared a National State of Emergency at 0843 hours Tuesday 14 February 2023. The declaration will apply to the six regions that have already declared a local State of Emergency: Northland, Auckland, Tairāwhiti, Bay of Plenty, Waikato, and Hawkes Bay. It will also apply to regions that will declare a local state of emergency during this weather event. This declaration will enable the Government to support the affected regions, provide additional resources as they are needed, and help set the priorities across the country for the response. The Government has already been surging support and resources to the regions for some days.