Check out the facts, figures and a copy of the presentation from the community meeting from Thursday 24 January.
Key facts and figures included:
- In 2016, Council issued 141 building consents – so far in 2018 Council has issued 220.
- In the roading space, Council signed a new contract with Downer in mid-2018 and allowed 6 months to ‘bed it in’. At this week’s Works and Services committee meeting we expect to see the plan for road maintenance for the next three months. This will also be published to our website and newsletters and I look forward to seeing some significant works delivered over the next few months
- This summers responsible camping trial has proven we can change campers behaviour but has also raised new issues – like the impact on commercial campgrounds and on the dotterels at south bay. The working group will discuss all these on the 7th of February and will update Council on what it believes we should do next.
- Innovative Waste Kaikōura is going through some major changes to improve the way the district handles waste and improve the health and safety of IWK staff and the community when visiting the yard. As improvements continue, we’ll take another look at kerbside rubbish and recycling arrangements.
- The number of vehicles on SH1 is expected to grow by 40% by 2025, balancing a tiny population with a large number of visitors is difficult. We are continuing to lobby the government, supporting a different funding model in the future.
- In the environment space, Council is beginning to make real progress, restarting the significant natural areas working group, providing funding to landowners for native planting and introducing the ‘helping on holiday’ campaign to allow our visitors to volunteer on community projects while they’re here.
Topics and speakers included:
- From the Mayor – Winston – 10mins
- Council’s key issues for 2019/2020 – Angela – 20mins
- Working towards rebuilt Horizontal Infrastructure - Peter – 15mins
- Progressing work on Economic Development -Martin – 15mins
- Working towards fit-for-purpose Community Facilities - Bruce – 15mins
- Protecting and enhancing Kaikoura’s environment – Kate – 15mins
- Helping Kaikōura’s community -community development - Kim/Arlene/Susi