COVID-19 Council Services and Community Updates
Kaikōura District Council offices are now open Monday to Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm.
We will continue to do everything we can to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at work.
We all have a part to play in keeping each other safe.There will be measures in place to protect our staff and customers, social distancing must be observed, and contact tracing records will be a requirement for everyone. We thank everyone for doing their bit and helping us all work through this unprecedented event.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon.
For any assistance or if you are unsure where to get COVID-19 related assistance,
phone us on 03 319 5026. More information at COVID-19
27/05/20 VisionStream Cable Installation
The long overdue improvement to the Kaikōura internet service is about to have the final installation stage completed on West End. The new service will greatly improve connectivity and high speed data exchange. There will be some disruption to the footpaths in the West End during the fibre cabling installation under the footpath. Visionstream and their subcontractors are working for Chorus to complete this installation in readiness to go live later this year. Connections to all businesses will be installed at the same time to allow for future connection as property owners require.
These works are targeted to start on Monday 25th May and may continue until the end of August, however Visionstream will be working to complete the works as soon as possible.
- 15/05/20 Council Services under COVID-19 Alert Level 2
Kaikōura District Council offices are open Monday to Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm. There will be measures in place to protect our staff and customers, social distancing must be observed, and contact tracing records will be a requirement for everyone.
The Library will be open normal operating hours, Mon – Fri: 9am – 5pm, Saturday: 10am-1.00pm.
Public Toilets will re-open.
Playgrounds will re-open.
The Resource Recovery Centre will be fully operational and open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 9am – 4pm
Tuesday – CLOSED. Saturday & Sunday 10am – 4pm
15/05/20 Mill Road – Road Closure
Monday 18 May for approximately 3 weeks, to Friday 5 June. We will keep you updated as soon as we know of any changes to these dates as the works progress. Due to COVID-19 various changes to work programmes have become necessary and we sincerely apologise for the ongoing inconvenience this may be causing. These works are Earthquake Repairs which are nearing completion throughout the KDC network. Please observe and follow on temporary Traffic Management signage. Drive safely out there.
- 29/04/20 Council Service Provisions under COVID-19 Alert Level 3
- 23/04/20 Kaikōura District Council Food Safety COVID-19 Level 3 Advisory - The New Zealand Government has announced what Alert Level 3 will mean for food businesses and council is keen to help you get your business back up and running.
- 22/04/20 COVID-19 Level 3 Revised Refuse and Recycling Services to take effect from Monday 4 May, 2020
- 17/04/20 "Shovel Ready" Kaikōura
KDC has put forward three projects for funding under the Government's "shovel ready" programme of infrastructure projects that can start quickly, stimulating the economy from the impacts of Covid-19.
Infrastructure Post-Earthquake Rebuild
Potential new footpaths, urban cycle paths, powerline undergrounding, and a range of upgrades in addition to Council’s current short-term plans.
Community Based Projects
The Mayfair Arts & Culture Centre (Kaikōura Community Theatre Inc) and The Kaikōura Community Aquatic Centre (Pool)
- 07/04/20 Neighbourhood Support in conjunction with Kaikōura Health are arranging volunteers to do grocery shopping and pick up prescriptions from the Kaikōura pharmacy. If you or anyone you know needs assistance, please contact Joanna.email@example.com
- 23/04/20 Workplace operations at COVID-19 alert levels - new guidance has been released about workplace activities at different alert levels. Information addresses some frequently asked questions as well as examples of what each alert level might look like for different kinds of businesses.
- 17/04/20 New grant to support Kaikōura Businesses
Kaikoura District Council have contributed to a grant supporting Kaikōura’s businesses negatively affected by the impacts of COVID-19. The $400 grant is available through Enterprise North Canterbury to Waimakariri, Hurunui and Kaikōura businesses, is to be used as a subsidy for businesses to receive Cashflow Forecasting Advice.
- 17/04/20 Alissa Miller has been appointed as the new Enterprise North Canterbury (ENC) Food & Beverage Business Development Manager and will initially be assisting ENC’s Business Support Team helping food and beverage businesses. If you are a food and beverage business requiring support or advice during the COVID-19 situation please email Alissa.
- 07/04/20 Enterprise North Canterbury have contracted Mel Skinner for 12 weeks to support Kaikōura businesses through COVID-19.This has been possible through the Regional Business Partner (RBP) COVID-19 Advisory Funding allocated from the Government’s business response package. Eligible businesses must meet certain criteria.
If you need support or know of a business that needs some advice, to arrange an assessment please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 26/03/20 Future Kaikōura - Information on Kaikōura services operating within the lockdown regulations
- COVID - 19 Update #1 CEO and Mayor Statement (23/03/20)
- COVID - 19 Update #2 CEO and Mayor Statement (23/03/20)
- COVID - 19 Update #3 Public Toilet Closure (25/03/20)
- COVID- 19 Update #4 Water and Waste Water Services (25/03/20)
- COVID - 19 Update #5 Freedom Camping in the Kaikōura District (25/03/20)
- COVID - 19 Update #6 Emergency COVID-19 Response Committee (03/04/20)
- COVID-19 Update #7 Street Litter Bins – Not for Household Refuse (06/04/20)
- COVID-19 Update #8 Emergency Response Committee Meeting (14/04/20)
- COVID-19 Update #9 "Shovel Ready" Kaikōura and Annual Plan Updates (17/04/20)
- COVID-19 Update #10 Sudima Group remain committed to Kaikōura Hotel (17/04/20)
- COVID-19 Update #11 COVID-19 Level 3 Revised Refuse and Recycling Services (22/04/20)
- COVOD-19 Update #12 Council Provisions under Alert Level 3 (29/04/20)
13 May 2020