Housing: Temporary Accommodation Village

2018.03 temp village map

Temporary accommodation village expected to be up and running by 30 April 2018 and operate until 30 June 2018.

Updated 12 March

The Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) and Kaikōura District Council (KDC) have partnered to establish a housing recovery temporary  accommodation village in Kaikōura. The village is for individuals and households (homeowners and renters) who need a temporary place to stay while their home is repaired or rebuilt. We expect the village to be up and
running by 30 April 2018, and operate until 30 June 2020.

Thereafter, the village will be decommissioned or repurposed, depending on housing needs at the time.

Eligibility criteria

Applicants are required to provide following information:

  1. Confirmation you are the legal owner (i.e. Rates Notice or Title Certificate) or tenant (i.e. Residential Tenancy Agreement) of your earthquake affected home
  2. Confirmation your home has earthquake related damage and you must vacate it for repair or rebuild work to be completed (i.e. insurance letter)
  3. Confirmation of the provisional start and estimated end date (i.e. builder contract) for repair or rebuild work
  4. A copy of the approved building consent document (if applicable)
  5. Confirmation your dog is registered (if applicable)
  6. Confirmation from your landlord that you are returning to the tenancy after the repairs have been completed (if applicable – upon request we can provide a template letter for this).

How many houses make up the village?

Seven, two-bedroom porta-cabins will make up the village. The cabins are 12m x 3m, are self-contained and include a kitchenette and an ensuite style bathroom. Each unit will have a small deck to extend the living space. Parking will be provided for two vehicles per lot, and each unit will have a small fenced yard, clothesline and letterbox. 

What kind of occupancy agreement is used?

Village tenancies are set up using a standard Residential Tenancy Agreement. Residents (the tenant) and the landlord are required to sign the agreement, and comply with the Residential Tenancies Act. 

How much is village rent per week?

Rent is set at $200 per week however, two units are semi furnished and they are $225 per week. 

Is a bond and rent in advance required?

Yes, two weeks rent for bond and two weeks rent in advance is required, prior to the start of the tenancy. Thereafter, rent is payable each fortnight. 

Is there assistance available to help me pay the bond?

There may be assistance available through Work and Income but it will depend on your circumstances. Please contact Work and Income to discuss this further. 

I am already a tenant – can I have my bond transferred?

Yes, if your landlord agrees, you can fill out a bond transfer form. At the end of your village tenancy, your bond will be transferred back if your rent is up to date, and the unit is left clean and tidy with no damage. 

Can my insurance company pay the rent and bond?

Yes, however each policy is different and you will need to discuss your temporary accommodation cover entitlement with your insurance company. 

Who pays for utility services?

Residents need to arrange and pay for their own utility services (e.g. power, telephone, internet) while living in the village. 

What types of chattels are available in the houses?

Each unit is fitted with a gas hot water system, wall heaters, a fridge, an electric oven, and a hot plate. The bathroom is equipped with a shower, vanity unit and toilet. There are no laundry facilities available. The two semi-furnished units have a queen-size bed, and a trundle or single bed. 

Can people bring their pets?

Yes, for many people pets are part of the family and people will want to bring their pets with them. As a general rule, up to two pets per household is acceptable, however this will be assessed on a case by case basis. Residents need to comply with all Council animal control rules. Dogs must be registered to go to the village. 

Are the houses insulated?

Yes, the houses have been designed to meet New Zealand Building Code standards. The wall, roof and flooring panels are insulated. The windows and door are double glazed. 

Are footpaths and driveways sealed?

The road will be sealed with gravel driveways for parking.

Are the houses fenced?

Yes, each house is fully fenced to accommodate children and pets, and to provide clear demarcation between each property.

Who is providing landlord, property and tenancy management services for the village?

We are in the process of appointing a village operator who will perform the following functions:

  • being first point of contact for tenants
  • sign-up, inspections, vacations
  • rent collection, and bond lodgement and retrieval
  • maintenance and repairs
  • grounds maintenance and site repairs
  • complaints and issue resolution
  • general village information and advice.

Why was this site chosen?

The Beach Road site is owned by KDC, who have agreed to make the land available. The site is cost effective to develop and has reasonable access to sewer, power, storm water and water.

Back to top


Useful links:

MBIE Temporary Accommodation

Housing in Kaikoura

Housing FAQ

Previous Council temporary accommodation update