Rates help 2018/19

Mt Fyffe Hut Article image

Two ways eligible ratepayers can reduce their rates bill in 2018/19.

Rates Rebates

Those with low incomes may qualify for money off their rates bill through government rates rebates. For rates rebates, the paperwork is done by Council then Council deducts the amount of your rebate from your rates bill. if you've already paid your rates we'll give you a refund.

How much you can claim depends on: how much your rates are — this includes local, regional and water rates, your income, and, whether you have any dependents, such as children, living with you.

If your gross (before tax) income is $25,180 or less you can often claim the full amount The most you can get is $630 for the current year. If your income is higher you may still be able to get all or part of the rebate depending on: how much your rates are, and how many children or other dependents are in your household.

If you have dependents, your income can be $500 more for each one. For example, if you have 2 children, then you would still be able to get the full rebate of $630 if your income is less than or equal to $25,180.

How to apply

  1. Download the Rates Rebate information to check you're eligible 
  2. Download the Rates Rebate Application Form
  3. Fill it out with all the correct information
  4. Call 03 319 5026 for an appointment to get the application form signed by an authorised Council Officer

Rates Remissions

Council offers rates remission (discounts) for;

  • uninhabitable or unsafe buildings following a Civil Defence Emergency
  • late payment where payment was beyond the ratepayers control
  • land protected for natural, or historical or cultural purposes
  • Maori Freehold Land

To be eligible properties must meet the conditions of Councils Rates Remission Policy. 

Rates remissions for uninhabitable/unsafe properties

Council offers 100% rates remission all rates on residential properties smaller than 1 ha that are uninhabitable due to damage from the November 2016 earthquake. Properties that were red-stickered, assessed as uninhabitable or unsafe to occupy due to risk of rock fall, dam burst, or collapse of adjacent buildings are likely to be eligible.

Residential homes are elligible for 100%. Farm buildings and commercial property that is unsafe to occupy are eligible for rates remission on the improvement value (that means they will be rated as if they were bare land, subject to terms and conditions).

Rates remission applies for the period of time that the building is unable to be used until demolition, or sale as-is.

How to apply

  1. Download the Rates Relief Application Form
  2. Fill it out with all the required information
  3. Email it to us, post it to PO Box 6, 96 West End, Kaikōura 7300 or drop into the Council office at Level 2, 96 West End, Kaikōura

Useful links:

13 August 2018