Residents prepared, positive and clear on priorities

KK View Default

According to the recently completed Kaikoura District Council 2017 Annual Resident and Ratepayer survey results, district residents believe the future is bright but that there’s a lot of work to do to get there.

As part of the survey, the Council asked how people felt about the future;

  • 83% agreed the District would go on to a positive future
  • 78% agreed Kaikoura continues to have a supportive and close community
  • 78% agreed support services are available to those most in need
  • 72% agreed residents would be better off once repairs are complete
  • 69% agreed Council is doing the best it can.

CEO Angela Oosthuizen said, “the survey is an important part of how we track how the community feels about what we’re doing. The most pleasing part about this year’s results is that, even with all the challenges we’re facing and the fact that there’s a lot of work left to do, respondents generally feel pretty good about the future. We’ve known from the start that recovery is a long and complicated process but the survey shows people believe we’ll come out the other side stronger and better than we were before. Council is determined to make that happen.”

“As expected, satisfaction with core infrastructure services dropped post-quake,” she said. “On average, there was a 10% increase in those dissatisfied with core services including storm water, water, sewage, urban and rural roads and footpaths. This isn’t surprising, our infrastructure was badly damaged and people have noticed. We’ve almost completed the plan for our infrastructure rebuild and as part of this we’ll be looking hard at the results to see where we need to focus our efforts. Over the next year residents can expect to see significant improvements to the damaged services.”

Emergency Management Officer KD Scattergood was pleased with the Civil Defence result showing 90% of respondents now have an emergency kit, an emergency plan and are prepared to look after themselves for three days after a disaster.  "My message for the remaining 10% is to strengthen what worked during the earthquake and fix what didn’t when you have the chance. I’m also pleased that only around 15% of respondents said they still need to make a plan for a tsunami. Go Kaikoura."

The survey also showed that satisfaction with the library has improved post-quake from 69% satisfied or very satisfied in 2016 to 77% this year. The new venue is proving popular, with nearly 20,000 issues or renewals between December 2016 and August 2017. Total borrower membership is now 4,062.

District Librarian Cheryl Barker was also happy with her results, “the library has been very popular since the earthquake. As well as using it during the immediate response we’ve hosted several activities including toddler time, the Family History Club, The Next Chapter Club, free computer literacy sessions and school visits from over 200 students. It also provides free Wi-fi. We’ve had a lot of positive feedback from our visitors and we’re looking forward to improving even more and coming up with exciting new ways our community can use our space and facilities.”

The annual survey was conducted in May and included sections about the earthquake response and recovery. The survey was delivered via hard copy, online and social media and respondent numbers were similar to previous years. The full survey results were tabled at the Council meeting on the 23rd August.

August 23