SH1 speed limit consultation
The NZ Transport Agency is proposing new permanent speed limits along sections of State Highway 1 both north and south of Kaikōura. Consultation is open until 5pm November 2nd.
On 15 December 2017 when State Highway 1 re-opened after the 2016 Kaikōura earthquakes, an emergency speed limit of 80km/h in the areas north and south of Kaikōura was put in place for one year. The previous speed limit pre-earthquake was 100km/h.
NZTA are now proposing that:
- the 80km/h section extends slightly to Kaikōura Airport (Peketa) to the north and into the Hundalee Hills to the south
- a section of SH1 in the Hunderlee Hills reducing to 60km/h
- a section of the Hundalee Hills to the south of Claverley Road, Conway Flat to 80km/h.
The sections of State Highway 1 now being consulted on are;
- north of Kaikōura, the coastal section of the road between Waipapa Bay to near Kiwa Road, Hapuku
- south of Kaikōura, Peketa to south of Claverley Road, Conway Flats.