Ever dreamed of living by mountains and sea? Join the small council with the massive challenge!
Our District has been significantly impacted by the recent earthquakes. Right now we've got unique opportunities to live in and re-build a tourist hot-spot, to get stuck-in, to help, to be challenged and grow.
The Kaikoura District Council is considered the smallest Council on mainland NZ (the Chatham Islands Council is the only NZ Council smaller than us). But while our population base (3,621 permanent residents) makes us the ‘smallest', we pride ourselves on our achievements, many of which have left the ‘big' Council's following in our footsteps. We may be small but we're committed to achieving the best outcomes for our residents and visitors. Our Council is a leader in sustainability.
We offer you a place to work in a spectacular district nestled between the mountains and the sea, without any of the hassles of a big city. We are committed to helping staff achieve work/life balance. Suited to people who enjoy the outdoors and marine activities, staff at Council are a social bunch who lead active (but very relaxed!) lifestyles.
Kaikoura has fabulous scenery. Boutique shopping, fishing, diving, cycling, walking, beaches, it is all here to enjoy.
Needed: an experienced Planner to provide advice, progress legislative requirements and projects and assist Councillors to set direction for the District by providing planning advice.
Applications Close: March 2018
Applications should include a CV and cover letter. Email us to apply or find out more.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Developing and reviewing policies and plans to support Council initiatives and statutory requirements.
- Writing reports to update and advice Council and Committees of new or reviewed policies or research projects.
- Preparing submissions on external policy affecting the organisation.
- Undertaking special projects that may arise from Council decisions.
- Formally receiving and processing plan changes to the Kaikoura District Plan
- Assisting in the review of the Kaikoura District Plan.
- Assisting the Planning Officer with consents including if required dealing with complex consents from acceptance to decision
- Preparing and delivering evidence to hearing panels and Environment Court to a high standard.