News and Media
We keep our community up to date through regular newsletters, media releases and more. Through this page you can sign up for future releases, check out past editions and check for other places you can keep up to date with us.
On this page
We're happy to share news and information from anyone within our district.
- keep it short – a max of 150 words if possible
- include a photo/image
- include links to more information if you have them – i.e. link it back to your own websites or social media accounts where possible.
By sending in content, you agree that:
- Content may be featured on KDC social media/media accounts (as well as newsletters)
- You give permission for us to use all images sent in
- KDC can edit your content to fit design guidelines (especially for hardcopy due to space)
- Commercial advertising will not be included however promotion of community, charity or not-for-profit activities or groups in encouraged
- 09 November: Council Receives Lotteries Funding to Repair and Upgrade Memorial Hall
- 31 October: District Library now helping families set up low coast internet with Spark Jump
- 09 October: Council Gets Ready for Shake Out
- 09 October: Library now available anytime, anywhere
- 14 September: New information shows reduced risk from natural hazards
- 14 September: Council welcomes funding to help investigate solutions for freedom camping trouble spot.
- 24 August: Council and NZ Transport Agency: Kaikoura Communications recognised at national awards
- Image: Kaikōura District Council Communications and Engagement Manager, Libby Clifford accepting the award for excellence in recovery communications.
- 3 July: Responsible Camping Working Group to be formed
- 2 July Council & Kaikōura Sport and Recreation Recovery Leadership Team: Survey dives into what Kaikōura community wants in a new pool
- 17 May: Council welcomes budget 2018 funding announcement
- 18 April: Partnership, innovation and excellence recognised as Kaikōura District Council wins big at the SOLGM Awards 2018
- 20 March: Kaikōura District Council supports planned NZTA Kaikōura deviation
- 16 March: Kaikōura District Council Discounted Consents for Solid and Liquid Fuel Heaters
To request releases from 2017 please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Final edition
- November 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Two years on
- November 2018 - Email Newsletter: Earthquake Anniversary - Two years on
- October 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Civil Defence in Kaikōura and getting ready for an emergency.
- September 2018 - Email Newsletter: Rebuild updates, consultations, local events, activities and news
- September 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Horizontal Infrastructure Rebuild Update
- August 2018 - Email Newsletter: Roads, rates, celebrating mountain climbing
- August 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Arts in the community
- July 2018 - Email Newsletter: Jam packed with community updates
- July 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Waste and sustainability
- June 2018 - Email Newsletter: Community and Council updates
- June 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Community update
- May 2018 - Email Newsletter: Draft 3 Year Plan out for consultation and community updates
- May 2018 - Hardcopy Newsletter: Draft 3 Year Plan
- May 2018 - Building Sector Newsletter: Legislation, inspections, technical talk, as is where is
- April 2018 - Email Newsletter: About our 3 Year Plan, Drinking Water and Community Central!
- April 2018 - Hardcopy newsletter: Elderly
- March 2018 - Email Newsletter: 3 Year Plans, Publications and Pontoons
- March 2018 - Hardcopy newsletter: Youth
Weekly update from Mayor Winston Gray.
Email newsletter - 'Council and Community'
What: Stories and information from the community and from council. Includes anything the community might want or need to know from anyone who wants to submit a story; events, local projects, stories about life in our District or offers and requests for help.
When: Sent mid-month. Began in July 2017
Who: Goes to over 2,000 subscribers
Stories from: Residents, businesses, Council, community groups and leaders
What: Short weekly emails that only have information about the things you are most interested in.
When: Sent weekly. Began in December 2018
Who: Goes to over 2,000 subscribers
Stories from: Council
Hardcopy newsletter - 'Community Update'
What: A monthly A4 newsletter created in collaboration with NCTIR and a number of local community groups such as the Youth Council.
Features short stories and updates on key people, events and issues.
Shares key information only.
Themed around the groups within our community (youth or elderly) or subjects/events/activities that mean something to our District (the environment, sustainability).
When: Delivered mid-month. Began in March 2018
Who: Goes to: over 1600 residences.
Stories from: Council, community groups and leaders.
Living locally and not receiving our hardcopy newsletter?
If your letterbox has an ‘Addressed Mail Only’ sign or you’re registered to only receive addressed mail through NZ Post, then you won’t receive our newsletter.
If you want to get it you can:
1. Contact NZ Post and check whether you’re registered to receive only addressed mail – 0800 501 501
2. Send an email to Council Communications that includes your postal address and we will try and get it sorted for you.