Building Information and Consents

Whether you are planning to build or renovate a home or business, almost everything you build needs to meet a number of standards and regulations.

Kaikōura District Council is the Building Consent Authority for our district, providing building consent for work that needs approval and inspection under the Building Act. 

Step 1: Do you need a building consent?

Click on the image below to be redirected to the website.  We recommend this as a first step when you are considering a building project.  It has easy to use tools to help you decide whether you need a consent or not, some building projects are exempt. 

Remember, even if your project does not require a building consent it still needs to comply with the Building Code.  The canibuildit website will also provide links to the relevant part of the building code that applies to your project.


Buildit screenshot


Applying for a discretionary exemption

The Building Act also allows Council to permit building work to be undertaken without a consent if the proposed work is likely to be performed in accordance with the Building Code, or failing that, it is unlikely to endanger people or any building.

You MUST apply to Council for a discretionary exemption. Council will undertake a risk assessment of the building work proposed on a case by case basis.

More information on restricted building work can be found here.

Other helpful information

For other questions in relation to a building project visit the website.  It provides information on the Building Code, Your Rights & Obligations, how to lodge a complaint, the building process, earthquake prone buildings and answers to just about every other question you might have.


Building performance online2


Step 2: Applying for a Building Consent


Step 3: Building to a Consent


Related Links

Helpful information about building from a variety of sources:

5 August 2022