Building Information and Consents
Kaikōura District Council is the Building Consent Authority for our district, providing building consent for work that needs approval and inspection under the Building Act.
The links below have information that you may find useful throughout the building process:
Building Performance helps you understand your rights and responsibilities in New Zealand's building sector.
Check out featured content, keep up to date with the latest news, or find helpful information on code compliance, homeowner essentials, or information for building officials.
Since the new suite of building consent exemptions launched back in August 2020, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) have been busy creating an online education tool for homeowners called Buildit. Buildit allows homeowners to answer a few questions about an upcoming project and see if it needs a building consent, or if it could qualify as exempt building work.
Building consents are no longer required for certain sized carports, sleepouts, sheds, ground-floor awnings, verandas and porches.
There are still other rules to follow, and some work can only be carried out by professionals, so learn more about the latest set of building consent exemptions, what rules must be followed, and which professionals you should engage with.
All the information you need to get started on your building project.
Information on how long the Council has to process a consent and what aspects need to be taken into account before approving it.
Information on code compliance certificates, why you need them, how to apply, time frames and compliance with your CCC.
Application forms for building consents and information on deposits and fees.
Information on how Council inspects consent conditions and whether they have been followed.
Information on the management of earthquake prone buildings and making changes to an EQ prone building.
Read about the work on Natural hazards and land damage here.
Helpful information about building from a variety of sources:
- Kaikoura District Councils building and regulatory team
- Licensed Building Practitioners
- Building Guide
- Building Research Association of New Zealand (BRANZ)
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
- Independent Qualified Person Register
- New Zealand Building Act 2004
- New Zealand Building Code Compliance
- Accessible Facilities Checklist
- the Ministry of Business Innovation and Deployment's Building CodeHub search tool - find out what you'll need from designing to construction for buildings that are compliant with the building code.
- Guidance for designers and building applicants considering building code elements when putting together a residential building consent application
- A calculator to help work out how many toilet pans, basins and urinals to include in buildings
- Read about altering existing buildings here.
- Read the Building Consent Authority (BCA) complaints policy including how to lodge a complaint about the Building Control Authority.
- Buildings for everyone - Designing for access and usability
- MiTek tutorial videos
- GIB manuals and technical documents
- Building exemptions for low risk work
- Building work consent not required guidance
- Design and Remediation of Low-Rise Industrial Commercial Buildings
- Swimming Pool Safety
13 July, 2021