Applying for your building consent

A building consent is the legal document that means you are able to carry out work on your building. 

If you're not sure whether you need a building consent, or are eligible for an exemption, or have other questions relating to Building Codes and building consents then visit our Building Consent introduction page.

There are other laws that need to be taken into account during the building process such as Building council bylaws, the Resource Management Act, health and safety requirements and laws specifying that qualified professionals must do certain plumbing, gas and electrical work. Some of these laws or regulations may also be applicable during demolition or removal of your home (for example, removal of asbestos). 

The links below contain information for when you are thinking of carrying our building work.

How to apply for a Building Consent

  • online via the Simpli portal
  • in person at Council's office, 96 West End Kaikoura 
  • via email 
    Note: If you are making a building consent application via email, please name your PDF attachment files in the following format:
    - PDF Plans
    - PDF Specifications
    - PDF Supporting Documents (e.g. Engineers details, Geotechnical etc.)
    - PDF Application (including proof of ownership)


To be deemed a complete application, the following information must be supplied on the application form or through the online portal:

  • The name and contact details of the building owner
  • The name and contact details of the applicant
  • The address of the building
  • The year the building was first constructed
  • The current lawfully established use of the building (including number of occupants per level and use if more than one type of use)
  • A description of the nature of the building work
  • Relevant plans and specifications
  • A description of the impact, if any of the building work on the building’s specified systems
  • To include an estimated value that needs to be appropriate for the work being applied for (section 63)
  • A memorandum (Form 2A) from LBP (designer) if the application contains restricted building work, if not supplied the application will not be accepted for processing

It must also be accompanied by the correct application fee with plans, specifications and any other information requested or required by Council or the Act.

Building on land subject to natural hazards

If you need approval for building work on land subject to natural hazards or construction over two or more allotments, please use the forms on this link, which have been approved by the Registrar-General of land.

Read about the work on Natural Hazards and Land Damage in Kaikōura.

Restricted building work (RBW)

This type of building work affects a building’s essential structures, foundations or safety.

RBW must be carried out by or overseen by a Licenced building Practitioner (LBP). LBP’s are builders who are required to keep their skills and knowledge up to date and have been independently assessed within their field of work.

Read more about restricted building work here.

Read more about LBP's here.

PIMS, Resource Consent and Producer Statements

Information about PIMS and the Resource Management Act/Resource Consents

Amending your consent and lapsed consents

Changing aspects of your consent (major and minor, product substitution) and what happens when a consent lapses.

Licensed Building Practitioners and DIY

The type of work LBP's need to do, and all about owner-builder exemptions.

Alterations, change of use, extending the life and subdividing

Information on building work to existing buildings and subdividing. 

Building for public use

Building warrants of fitness, compliance schedules, certificate for public use and guidance around accessible facilities.

5 August 2022