LBP's and DIY

This page contains information on restricted building work, and how you can get it completed, as well as how you can do your own work on your building (DIY).

On this page:


Licensed Building Practitioner

A licensed building practitioner (LBP) will be required to undertake or oversee the building work if it is classified as restricted (unless you have been approved for an owner-builder exemption). 

Read more about lisenced building practitioners here. Read more about choosing a licensed building practitioner here.

Back to top

Owner-builder exemption

An owner-builder is an individual who does building work on their own home or holiday home. This is legally okay, as long as you:

  • Meet the requirements of the Building Code
  • Obtain any necessary building consent or permits before starting work
  • Getting the right paperwork is confirmation that the building is constructed to the required health and safety requirements

 As an owner-builder, you will need to hire a professional to do:

  • Plumbing
  • Gasfitting
  • Drainlaying
  • Electrical work

Back to top

How to apply for an owner-builder exemption

Owner-builder exemptions are issued by Council and the statutory declaration form must be witnessed and signed by a legally authorised person such as a Justice of the Peace. The form needs to be given to Council with the application for a building consent, or before the restricted building work on your home starts.

As an owner-builder you are required to abide by the Building Act, as well as being responsible for ensuring that restricted building work carried out under the owner-builder exemption complies with the building consent and the relevant plans and specifications.

Friends and family are allowed to help you with the restricted building work, as long as you are not paying them. Future buyers will have access to information that shows the building work was carried out by the owner rather than a Licenced Building Practitioner.

You can find out more and download the owner-builder declaration form here.

Other information on DIY can be found here. 

Back to top

Last updated: 8 May 2018