PIMs, Resource consent and Producer Statements

This page contains information on how to obtain information about your land, and legislation to keep in mind if you are thinking about carrying out building work.

On this page:


 Project information memorandum

 A project information memorandum (PIM) is a report that outlines any information or special features of the land, as well as regulatory requirements that may impact/be relevant to building on that site. The report is prepared by Council and provides a basis of information for all parties involved in the project.

Although not mandatory to get a PIM, Council recommends that all people apply for one when creating new dwellings, commercial projects and other large or significant building activities. A PIM also assists in the building consent process. It identifies whether the need for consent is there, assists in the information and requirements for service connections/disconnections, as well as providing the owner any information that Council has on the land on which you intend to build. 

How do you apply for a PIM?

You must provide Council with a completed application form, as well as:

  • Details of where the building work will be carried out
  • Details on the type of work that will be carried out
  • Specific details if the use of the site/building is to be changed
  • The estimated value of the building work
  • Previous consents issued for the project
  • Subdivision details
  • Any other information that may be required by Council (check with us)
  • Considerations of any existing drains or sewers close to wells or water mains

How long will it take for the application to be processed?

Council has an obligation to issue the PIM within 20 working days of receiving an application. If needed, more information may be requested by Council within 10 working days of receiving the application. The application will be suspended until the information is received.

If a PIM has not previously been issued for the site and it has potential to affect a registered historic place, historic area, waahi tapu or waahi tapu area, then Council will advise the New Zealand Historic Places Trust within five days.

What will be in the PIM when you receive it?

The PIM will include information that relates to the proposed building work. This includes:

  • Information that identifies special features of the land (if any)
  • Information that has been provided to the territorial authority by a statutory authority (in relation to the building site)
  • Information on existing storm/waste water systems (on or near the building site)
  • Information of any requirements to be met and conditions in regards to the building site that may not be accessible under other Acts
  • Confirmation that building work may be carried out on the site (as long as other documentation is applied for and approved) OR notification that the proposed work had been refused

Read more about PIM’s here.

Back to top

Resource consent

You may need to apply for resource consent, depending on the requirements of the District or Regional Plan. 

Under the Resource Management Act, regional and city or District Councils prepare plans to reflect the desires and aspirations of the local community in relation to natural or physical resources, and activities that affect the environment. 

You may need a resource consent if you’re planning to:

  • construct a new building or make additions or alterations to an existing building
  • change a building’s or property’s use
  • subdivide a property
  • prune, remove or work near a protected tree
  • carry out earthworks
  • erect a sign

Before you start any activity that may affect your neighbours, your wider community or the environment, please consider contacting Kaikōura District Council and speaking with a Planning Officer regarding your proposal.


Please note, under the Building Act 2004, section 37

A Territorial authority must issue a certificate if resource consent required

(1) This section applies if a territorial authority considers that—

(a) a resource consent under the Resource Management Act 1991 has not yet been obtained; and

(b) the resource consent will or may materially affect building work to which a project information memorandum or an application for a building consent relates.

(2) The territorial authority must issue a certificate, in the prescribed form, to the effect that until the resource consent has been obtained—

(a) no building work may proceed; or

(b) building work may only proceed to the extent stated in the certificate.

(3) The certificate must be—

(a) attached to the project information memorandum; or

(b) if no project information memorandum has been applied for, provided to the building consent authority.


To check if you need a resource consent, contact us.

See the District Plan here.

Read more about resource consents here.

 Producer statements

A producer statement is a professional opinion based on sound judgement and specialist expertise. It is not a product warranty or guarantee of compliance. If a producer statement is supplied with your building consent such as an engineer’s PS1 and the engineer has stated they will undertake site inspections to verify their design this then forms part of your approved building consent.

Read more about producer statements here.

Back to top 

19 June 2018