Certifying building work

This page contains information on how building work is certified, including information on code compliance certificates (CCC). You are required to apply for a code compliance certificate once your building work is complete

If Kaikoura District Council issued the building consent, they will approve and sign of the CCC.

Note: Section 91 of the Building Act 2004 subsection (2) states:

However, another building consent authority may issue a code compliance certificate if the following persons agree:

(a)   The owner of the building to which the building work relates; and

(b)   The building consent authority that it is proposed will issue the code compliance certificate.

This could be for a relocatable home being constructed in another district.


On this page:



A code compliance certificate (CCC) is a document issued by Council that approves that all of the work done on a building has met the specifications outlined in the building consent.

Only the Council that issued the building consent can approve and sign off on the CCC.

After 2 years of the consent being granted for the building, Council will make a decision as to whether they will issue a CCC or not. The decision must be made within 20 days of expiry (2 year mark).

Public premises cannot be used for this purpose without a CCC, certificate of public use or certificate of acceptance. It is illegal to allow public use of a building without one of these documents

A commercial on-seller may not transfer a household unit without a CCC

For buildings intended for public use or requiring a code of compliance schedule, further information can be found here.

Back to top 

 When to apply for a CCC

A code compliance certificate confirms the work done complies with the building consent, and shows the work is legal, compliant and complete.

You have two years to apply for a code compliance certificate once your building consent is granted. Council issues a code compliance certificate based on the inspections undertaken during and at the end of construction. It’s only issued when Council is satisfied on reasonable grounds that:

  • Your building work is completed and complies with the building consent
  • Your final inspection has been passed
  • Any specified systems for the building are capable of performing
  • Your code compliance certificate application and required documentation have been received and accepted

Back to top 

Required content and detail of plans and supporting material

You need the following to make an application for a CCC:

  • A completed application form - Form 6 (Building Regulation 2004)
  • Evidence of ownership
  • Details of authority from the owner if an agent of an owner applies for the code compliance certificate
  • Details of the people who undertook the work, including registration numbers if applicable

Back to top 

What about issuing CCC for Building Consents issued under the 1991 Act or that have not been issued by Council?

Providing Council are satisfied the building work has been constructed to comply with the Building Code regulations that were in place at the time of construction, and has continued to meet the provisions of the Building Code, a Code Compliance Certificate may be considered (this includes maintenance).

A waiver maybe applied to the consent if a reasonable amount of time has lapsed since the consent was issued.

If Council cannot be satisfied on reasonable grounds, a Code Compliance Certificate may be refused.

Should Council refuse to issue a Code Compliance Certificate and you consider that this is not justified then you may wish to approach MBIE and obtain a determination.

Read more about code compliance certificate's here.

Back to top 

Timeframe for processing CCCs

The Council has 20 days to decide whether a CCC will be issued (from application, or expiry of consent). If more information is required to make the decision, the application is put on hold from when Council requests the information. 

Back to top 

Last updated: 8 May 2018