Mayoral Relief Fund
The Kaikōura Mayoral Earthquake Relief Fund was originally established to assist Kaikōura residents known to be most affected by the November 2016 earthquakes. Since the Fund was set up, over $170,000 has been paid out in emergency grants to individuals and households.
Now, with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our local economy, some people in our community are once again exposed to financial hardship. In addition to any person affected by the earthquakes able to apply for a household grant, Council is inviting any ratepayer experiencing hardship due to COVID-19 to apply for funds to help pay their rates bill.
For Earthquake Relief Funds:
- Applications are open for anyone who was a resident of our District on 14 November 2016 who is now experiencing hardship as a result of the earthquake.
- Applications are assessed and paid out monthly.
- Grants are paid directly into successful applicant’s nominated bank accounts.
- Hardship grants are generally around $500 per household, but may vary according to needs.
For COVID-19 Relief Funds:
- You must be experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic (such as loss of employment for example);
- You are a Kaikōura District ratepayer and a permanent resident of the Kaikōura District
- Your rates are in the name of an individual, not a business or other organisation.
- Priority will be given to Earthquake Hardship Grants.
More information: Mayoral Relief Fund Fact sheet
How to apply:
- Complete the Mayoral Relief Fund Application Form
- Return it to the Kaikōura District Council via email@example.com or post or drop it in to the Council Office, Level 2, 96 Esplanade, Kaikōura.
- Council will asses your claim and let you know the outcome.
Want to make a donation?
Donations can be made to bank account 02-0856-0011698-005.