Our economic development goal is to build an economy that performs well all year-round, is diverse, provides employment and helps attract visitors.
Understanding the economy of Kaikōura
Council provides free access to economic analysis and forecasts through an informetrics service. The goal is to help local businesses and those who may be looking to invest in our district understand the economic forces which affect their businesses or organisations. The information also helps inform Council’s planning, policy, and strategic decisions and may also be of interest to our community, schools and NGO’s for research projects or planning how to deliver their services.
Where are we now?
Council is focusing on finding local solutions to local problems, leading to inclusive and sustainable growth for whole community. Our role is to facilitate productivity‐enhancing and environmentally sustainable commercial activities, especially those that can improve wages and return on investment.
Councils current projects include;
- Developing the foundations for the Long Term Plan 2021 - 2031
- Developing a Waste Management and Minimisation Plan.
- Progressing work to develop Wakatu Quay and South Bay Harbour, funded by the Provincial Growth Fund
- Supporting the roll out of Ultrafast broadband for Kaikoura township
- Identifying opportunities to apply for/use the Tourism Infrastructure Fund
- Supporting local businesses including developing strategies to enhance winter season commercial activities
- Working with Destination Kaikōura and others to develop a Tourism Development Strategy that aligns with the Aotearoa New Zealand Government Tourism Strategy
- Working with the Canterbury Employers chamber of Commerce and Canterbury Mayoral Forum to ensure Kaikōura’s economic development work benefits from and contributes to work across Canterbury
- Supporting tourism activities including the Alpine Pacific NZ trail and the Coastal Pacific train
- Canterbury Regional Economic Development Strategy
- Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce
- News about Economic Development from the NZ Government
- Future Kaikōura - training and events, assistance, information, support and advice for Kaikōura businesses.
1 February 2021