Kaikōura District Library
Where are we?
Mon – Fri: 9.30am – 5:30pm
Closed all Public Holidays
Mondays 10.20-11.30am during school term time. Songs, stories and activities for pre-schoolers.
A free, community based service to help adults build their basic computer skills. Courses include Trademe, Word, Google Drive, Photobooks, Facebook, Youtube, Computer basics, Google and the internet, Email and Pinterest!
Wednesday 5.30pm. $5 per person.
Tuesdays (every 2nd and 4th of the month) 1-4pm. Free to attend!
Available to all Library members.
Help by appointment. Wednesday's in the Library. Use the computers and get assistance to the Ancestry database. Call 319 6280 to make your appointment or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bring a puzzle into the Library and take a new one home, or borrow one for the first time.
Wednesdays 1-3pm. Bring your own game to share or use on that the Library has. Meet and play with other people. All welcome.
Loans and Returns
Items may be returned through the book return slot located near the main doors of the Civic Centre on the ground floor or at the front desk during business hours.
Red dot (new) books are $2 per 3 week issue.
Yellow dot books are $1 per 3 week issue.
We don’t charge for NZ fiction, magazines, biographies, all Non Fiction or children’s and teens’ books.
21 days unless otherwise stated. Some magazines and DVDs are 7 day loan period.
Items may be renewed twice providing they are not reserved for another borrower. Any rental or overdue charges will be payable on your next visit.
Membership is free if you are a permanent resident of Kaikōura or $45 annual subscription if you live elsewhere.
Photo proof of ID and another form of proof of address e.g. power bill or bank statement is required to join. You will be issued a library card on the same day and can start borrowing straight away. Please keep your card safe and remember to bring it with you at each visit.
Lost or damaged cards can be replaced for a small fee.
Having a membership to Kaikōura District Library gives you access to the Generosity New Zealand Funding Database. Check out the Community Grants page to find out more.
What's available at the Library?
Books and magazines
- Inter-library loan – we can borrow an item from another NZ library on your behalf *charges apply
- Second hand books and magazines for sale
- Talking books
- Large print books
- Reserves system to hold that special book for you when it is returned from another borrower
- Housebound service - delivery of books, magazines and talking books to members no longer able to visit the Library due to illness or disability
- Online Public Access Computer enabling you to search the library database
- Scholarship database that you can browse through, using your Library card.
Find out more information here.
- Internet and Email access *charges may apply
- Word and Excel
- Photocopying (B&W or Colour), printing, scanning and laminating
- Kaikōura District Council and Regional Council documents including council meeting agendas and electoral rolls.
- Toy Library, puzzles and children’s programmes
- Book covering & minor repairs *charges apply
- Local History - Kaikōura collection
Children & young adults: $0.10c per day per item
Adults: $0.20c per day per item
DVDs: $1 per day per item
Reserve fee: $1 per item
Toys: $1-2 per item per week
DVDs: $2-4 per item per week
Rental Fiction Red dot: $2.00
Rental Fiction Yellow dot: $1.00
Replacement library cards: $5
Full replacement cost will be charged for any lost or damaged items.
This may also incur an administration fee.
15 mins: $2
30 mins: $3
60 mins: $6
A4 Black & white: .20c
A4 Colour: $2.00
A3 Black & White: .40c
A3 Colour: $4.00
30 August 2018