Property and business owners in Kaikōura pay rates. Some properties are non-rateable (e.g DOC land) but most are rateable.

Rates pay for the maintenance and development of the District’s infrastructure and community facilities, the cost of providing services like the library and Civil Defence and the general running of Council. Council sets its rates annually around the end of June through the Annual Plan or Long Term Plan. The rating year runs from 1 July until 30 June.

FAQ's Property valuations & rates 2022-23

Some useful information