Recycling and Rubbish
This page contains information on how to dispose of waste responsibly and what is being done about illegal dumping.
Illegal waste dumping includes any waste left on public property.
Illegal dumping has damaged our environment and spoiled parts of this precious place for everyone. Dumped items have included fridges, tyres, general rubbish, animal carcasses, human waste. In addition, half a tonne of waste is taken out of the town bins every day. Town waste bins are regularly abused and used by a few locals for household or commercial rubbish.
If illegal dumping continues to grow as a problem, Council may also look to establishing additional enforcement and regulatory options such as signs or CCTV in key areas.
- Tell Council about any waste you see so that we can get it fixed. Please provide any details of any vehicles involved, such as registration plate, colour, make and model. You can do this by:
- Putting in a request for service (leave us photos and the exact location)
- Calling 03 319 5026
- Email us
- For safety reasons, and for us to investigate, we ask that people leave the dumped material as it is and don’t touch it.
- What happens then?
- The job is logged in Council systems so we can track where issues are happening and how quickly and how well we deal with them.
- An inspection may be needed (especially if the issue is around human waste or other hazardous materials)
- A clean up happens and rubbish is checked to see if it can be traced back to those responsible
Roadside rubbish collection in Kaikōura is through IWK.
- Rubbish is to be secured inside a blue IWK Rubbish Bags
- Blue Rubbish bags are available to purchase locally from New World, Caltex, BP, Night and Day, IWK weighbridge for $4.00
- Maximum weight limit 15kg
- Please securely wrap any broken glass in middle of bag
Click here to view or download a 2023 Jan - June rubbish & recycling calendar
Click here to view or download the remaining collection dates for December 2022
Weekly roadside recycling collection is available throughout the District. If the collection day is a public holiday, it will be collected the next working day.
- Kaikōura Township and South Bay - Weekly Thursdays
- Rural recycling collection from Suburban Primary School, Schoolhouse Road, Lynton Downs Primary School, Inland Road and Kekerengu, SH1
- Find out more on IWK's website here
Recent changes both in NZ and overseas mean it's harder or more expensive to recycle certain materials. If IWK collect materials they can't recycle, ratepayers end up paying for it over time as our landfill fills up or Innovative Waste has to pay to get rid of it. Cutting corners at the kerbside still costs your pocket in the long run.
If you need more information, don't have a collection bin or want to check collection days/times, call the team on 03 319 7148 or visit their website or Facebook.
Handy tips to make sure your recycling gets collected:
- Wash and squash all recycling
- Separate your glass
- Flatten cardboard and stack under containers
- Make sure your recycling is out by 7am.
More information on the items that you can recycle available here
Business are required by our District Plan to separate waste and recycling.
Your business' recycling can be disposed of free of charge at IWK. Alternatively, a business recycling collection service is offered Mondays and Fridays from $11.25 per week.
If your waste can’t be recycled, it can be taken to IWK and its' disposal paid for by weight or you may be able to have it collected for a fee.
Find out about IWK's business services here.