Economy and Business
Information about all our economic recovery and development work.
On this page:
We knew the November 2016 earthquake would affect our local economy and local businesses. We've been working since the earthquake to offer all the support and assistance we can. This includes:
- Working with the government to set up the $1 million business recovery grant scheme
- Helped secure $650,000 for tourism marketing through Destination Kaikoura
- Worked with Canterbury Employers’ Chamber of commerce to offer free membership to 474 local businesses
- Working to set up a local Business Association
- Working with NZTA and Kiwirail to make sure as much as possible of the money spent by the nearly 1000 workers fed and housed here is spent through local businesses – including contracts for local businesses to supply lunches and dinners to workers.
- Facilitated a series of free workshops and trainings to help businesses operate
- A full time staff member directly focussed on identifying and working through business issues
- Working with the Canterbury Employers’ Chamber of commerce, Canterbury Community Law, ChristchurchNZ, Business Mentors NZ, the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment and others to provide advice and support to local businesses on issues including insurance, finance and business resilience.
- Future Kaikoura Free training and events, assistance, information, support and advice for Kaikoura businesses affected by the November 2016 earthquakes.
Free Legal advice: Community Law Canterbury are in town fortnightly to provide free legal advice (about rebuild, insurance or any other matter you may need help with). Contact them on 0800EQLEGAL or 0275370159 to find out more.
Business Recovery Grant Programme (BRGP) The next phase in the government suite of recovery support measures intended to help businesses during recovery. This is externally administered. Applications are approved by an independent panel. The BGRP replaced the Earthquake Support Subsidy (ESS) on 1 May 2017.
- NCTIR News, and providing Complaints or Feedback NCTIR are doing everything they can to keep everyone up-to-date as the work on the road and rail continues find out how to keep up with their information, make a complaint or provide feedback
Something missing? We're still building this page. If you have suggestions for sorts of information you'd like to see something here please contact us. You can also stay up to date with what's going on in our District by signing up to our email Newsletter or joining us on Facebook or Twitter
Recovery Plan Goal: Establish strategic partnerships to attract investment; develop support structures to provide certainty around businesses and employment continuity; and explore avenues of economic diversification to enhance economic and social resilience.
How we'll achieve it
Market Kaikōura: Reposition Kaikōura as a unique year-round destination including multi-day/weekend offerings. Establish an international marketing campaign. Establish long term partnerships and actions to maintain momentum and create longer term solutions for marketing the region.
Year round and more diverse tourism: Investigate options to attract year-round visitors to Kaikōura and to diversify tourism opportunities, including targeting higher value tourism, new facilities and ventures across all seasons.
Education hub: Explore with local education providers opportunities to collaborate on the provision of educational services and facilities (e.g. explore a local education hub for the region).
Marine Research Centre: Investigate the potential for Kaikōura to become a marine research centre for New Zealand to attract year-round researchers and students