Economy and Business
Information about all our economic recovery and development work.
Something missing? We're still building this page. If you have suggestions for sorts of information you'd like to see something here please contact us.
Useful links and information:
Change at Council: we're currently working through a change process of which a restructure is a part.
Free Business Workshops: training for Kaikoura businesses to help grow and develop their business capability.
- Tuesday 20 June: Building Blocks of Resilience: practical tools and strategies to help you adapt and thrive in this challenging environment. Aimed at helping you; understand and measure your personal resilience, learn how to support yourself and others, develop practical skills (physical, emotional and cognitive) to maintain and build your personal resilience plus organisational resilience and create a resilience development plan
- Tuesday 27 June: Understanding Your Business Numbers and Future Sustainability: helping you understand and evaluate the financial position and performance of your business. This practical session will cover: Cashflow management, Critical cashflow, Basic budgets, Forecasting, Financial management skills, Working capital, KPIs, Critical Decision Making, Risk Mitigation
- Business Recovery Grant Programme (BRGP) The next phase in the government suite of recovery support measures intended to help businesses during recovery. This is externally administered. Applications are approved by an independent panel. The BGRP replaced the Earthquake Support Subsidy (ESS) on 1 May 2017.
- EQC now has a claim manager at the Kaikoura office (Shop 2, 6 West End). The Claim Manager will be at the office on Tuesdays 12-5pm and Wednesdays 9am-1pm to help any managed customers in the area who want to talk face-to-face about their claim.
- 2017 Champion Canterbury Business Awards Entries are now open. Benchmark yourself against others in your industry; reward staff and gain recognition. The awards recognise and celebrate the excellence, innovation, and success of businesses and not-for-profit organisations in the Canterbury region with categories for all sectors and sizes. Nominate a business or enter your own via their website, entries close 5pm Fri June 9th
- Primary Industries Earthquake Recovery Fund A $5 million support fund is available to quake-affected farmers in Hurunui, Kaikōura and Marlborough. Find out how you can apply to access the fund.
- Future Kaikoura Assistance, information, support and advice for Kaikoura businesses affected by the November 2016 earthquakes.
- NCTIR News, and providing Complaints or Feedback NCTIR are doing everything they can to keep everyone up-to-date as the work on the road and rail continues find out how to keep up with their information, make a complaint or provide feedback
How does this fit with the Recovery Plan?
Recovery Plan Goal: Establish strategic partnerships to attract investment; develop support structures to provide certainty around businesses and employment continuity; and explore avenues of economic diversification to enhance economic and social resilience.
How we'll achieve it
Market Kaikōura: Reposition Kaikōura as a unique year-round destination including multi-day/weekend offerings. Establish an international marketing campaign. Establish long term partnerships and actions to maintain momentum and create longer term solutions for marketing the region.
Year round and more diverse tourism: Investigate options to attract year-round visitors to Kaikōura and to diversify tourism opportunities, including targeting higher value tourism, new facilities and ventures across all seasons.
Education hub: Explore with local education providers opportunities to collaborate on the provision of educational services and facilities (e.g. explore a local education hub for the region).
Marine Research Centre: Investigate the potential for Kaikōura to become a marine research centre for New Zealand to attract year-round researchers and students