SH1 north and south of Kaikōura have been opened for travel 24/7. Road works are still present and care is required when driving this route. The road remains sensitive to heavy rain and closures will occur if it becomes unsafe to keep the road open.
All travellers should check for the latest updates before they travel.
- Real time information and updates can be found on the NZ Transport Agency website or by calling the NZTA call centre 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).
- Estimated journey times from various locations can be found here
- Download the Upper South Island summer map with Alternate Highway information (Information in english, espanol, portugues, francais, deutsch, chinese, japanese, korean, thai, arabic, indonesia.)
- Keep updated on planned closures for SH1 here
As the rebuild gains pace you’ll begin to see more roadworks and changes across the District. We’ll do everything we can to keep you up to date. However, it’s a big, fast moving job so please be patient.
Hawthorne Bridge: We know how important it is to get Hawthorne Bridge fixed as quickly as possible. We’re moving as fast as we can. Before we can start building, we have to make sure we’ve planned for the potential impacts on the road from the proposed deviation of SH1. We also needing to make sure our funders are happy with the design and plans.
We hope to have contractor on board by the end of March 2018. We estimate that construction will take up to 6 months from then (September 2018).
Just like all our rebuild work, we’ll work as fast as is safe and affordable and keep you updated as we go.
Reminder that there are parking rules and along West End and charging for parking in the West End pay and display carpark.
The 60 minute time limit for parking in front of businesses is enforced, with cars who overstay the limit given infringement notices. For the West End pay and display carpark, parking fees need be paid and tickets properly displayed. Cars not displaying correct tickets will receive infringement notices.
With the increased traffic on our roads due to the rebuild and NCTIR work, please take extra care. Drive to the conditions and watch your speed. We're working with NCTIR and the police to make sure everything possible is being done to enforce careful and safe driving on our roads - do your part too. Complaints should be referred to the police as soon as possible after they happen. You can:
- Leave a message for NCTIR on 0800 628 4737 or email@example.com
- Contact the local police on (03) 319 5038
18 June 2018