Current local roadworks
work to replace or repair bridges across the district is now in full swing. This means there are a number of local closures or restrictions in place. Where possible, affected residents will be notified by letter drop before the closures and diversions will be put in place.
- For more information about the works visit the Rebuild page
After consultation with the community in 2019, Council has lowered speed limits across Kaikōura including outside local schools, within West End and in our peri-urban area. View the new speed limits here.
There are parking rules and along West End and charging for parking in the West End pay and display carpark.
The 60 minute time limit for parking in front of businesses is enforced, with cars who overstay the limit given infringement notices. For the West End "pay by plate" carpark, you will need to know your registration number. The new meters accept EFTPOS and credit cards only (no cash). No ticket is issued. Cars overstaying their time limit will receive infringement notices.
With the increased traffic on our roads due to the rebuild and NCTIR work, please take extra care. Drive to the conditions and watch your speed. We're working with NCTIR and the police to make sure everything possible is being done to enforce careful and safe driving on our roads - do your part too. Complaints should be referred to the police as soon as possible after they happen. You can:
- Leave a message for NCTIR on 0800 628 4737 or email@example.com
- Contact the local police on (03) 319 5038
SH1 north and south of Kaikōura is open for travel 24/7. Roadworks are still present and the road may close during heavy rains or severe weather.
All travellers should check for the latest updates before they travel.
- Real time information and updates can be found on the NZ Transport Agency website or by calling the NZTA call centre 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).
- Keep updated on planned closures for SH1 here
- Council management of roads, footpaths and bridges
13 December 2019