Kaikōura District Library (Whare Pukapuka)
The Kaikōura District Library (whare pukapuka) is located on the first floor of the Civic Centre building. The whare pukapuka has a wide range of reading material, community documents and learning facilities/opportunities available and regularly hosts community events and activities. Membership is free for residents.
This page contains information about our whare pukapuka, becoming a member, information about membership including the online database, what's available at the whare pukapuka and fees and charges.
Already a member?
Sign in to the whare pukapuka database here to access your account, reserve, request and renew library items.
eBooks are now available!
Our Whare Pukapuka
Whare pukapuka membership
- Membership is free if you are a permanent resident of Kaikōura.
- You can apply to become a member online here; or
- You can collect a form from the whare pukapuka in person if you prefer.
- To complete your application, you will need to provide photo proof of ID and a form of proof of address e.g. power bill or bank statement (see "Providing proof of ID and address" below).
To complete your application, you will need to provide photo proof of ID and a form of proof of address e.g. power bill or bank statement.
This can be uploaded to your online application form, or given, posted or emailed to the whare pukapuka once a membership application form has been filled out.
Provide copies of your proof of ID and address to:
- PO Box 6, Kaikōura 7340 (postal)
- 96 West End, Kaikōura (03) 319 6280 (in person)
Please only send COPIES of these documents in the post. They will not be returned to you.
You will be issued a membership card on the same day that you provide the proof of ID and address, and can start borrowing straight away.
Each whare pukapuka member has access to the Kaikōura District Library online catalogue through their own personal account.
Please keep your card safe and remember to bring it with you each time you visit.
Lost or damaged cards can be replaced for a small fee of $5.
Items may be returned through the book return slot located near the main doors of the Civic Centre on the ground floor or at the front desk during business hours.
21 days unless otherwise stated. Some magazines and DVDs are 7 day loan period.
Items may be renewed twice providing they are not reserved for another borrower. Any rental or overdue charges will be payable on your next visit.
Reserving an item
The cost to reserve an item is $1.00.
Mondays 10.20-11.30am during school term time. Songs, stories and activities for pre-schoolers.
A free, community based service to help adults build their basic computer skills. Courses include Trademe, Word, Google Drive, Photobooks, Facebook, Youtube, Computer basics, Google and the internet, Email and Pinterest.
Kids After School Space
We run an after school space for kids during school terms from 3pm to 4.30pm. We have lots of resources and help available for homework and school projects, or just come hang out, play some games or read a book.
During the school holidays we run a Kids Club. Bring your family in for some crafts, board game fun and much more. Ask at the Library for more information on what is coming up for this school holidays.
Wednesday 5pm. $5 per person, please come before 5pm as the automatic doors close at 5pm.
Tuesdays (every 2nd and 4th of the month) 1-4pm. Free to attend.
Reading to Dogs
Reading to Dog's is designed to be a relaxed non-threatening atmosphere to encourage kids to practice their reading skills and develop their love of reading. We schedule 15 minute after school sessions with our dog Lucee. If you are interested please talk to our staff for more details.
Available to all library members.
Help by appointment. Wednesdays in the library. Use the computers and get assistance to the Ancestry database. Call 319 6280 to make your appointment or email email@example.com.
Bring a puzzle into the library and take a new one home, or borrow one for the first time.
Games In The Library
Wednesdays 1-3pm during winter. Bring your own game to share or use one that the library has. Meet and play with other people - everyone welcome.
If you have a simple computer/ tablet or phone problem and no tech savvy kids to help out, pop into the Library between 1-4pm on Thursdays.
Golden Oldies Book Club
Come and join some fellow book lovers in the Library from 1.30-2.45pm on the third Thursday of every month. If you need a ride, the community van is $2.50 each way, please call Belinda on 027 562 0811.
Sit and Be Fit
10am Fridays we have a class for older adults to develop their fitness from gentle movements. $5 per person.
- Inter-library loan – we can borrow an item from another NZ library on your behalf *charges apply
- Second hand books and magazines for sale
- Talking books
- Large print books
- Reserves system to hold that special book for you when it is returned from another borrower.
- Online Public Access Computer enabling you to search the library database
- Scholarship database that you can browse through, using your Library card.
Find out more information here.
- Internet and Email access *charges may apply
- Word and Excel.
- We have a subscription and access to the Ancestry website.
- Photocopying (B&W or Colour), printing, scanning and laminating
- Kaikōura District Council and Regional Council documents including council meeting agendas and electoral rolls.
- Toy Library, puzzles and children’s programmes
- Book covering & minor repairs *charges apply
- Local History - Kaikōura collection.
Having a membership card for Kaikōura District Library gives you access to the Generosity New Zealand Funding Database. Check out the Community Grants page to find out more.
Spark Jump is a new low-cost, pre-pay internet service for families with children under the age of 18. The service is subsidised by the Spark Foundation and offered through local partners in Spark Jump coverage areas. The Library can help set this service up for eligible families. Call them now on 03 319 6280 or pop in to register for a one on one tutorial and to collect everything you need for low cost internet at home!
Fees and charges
18 June 2020