Kaikōura District Library
The Kaikōura District Library is located on the first floor of the Civic Centre building. Membership is free for residents. The library has a wide range of reading material, community documents and learning facilities/opportunities available and regularly hosts community events and activities. .
Mon – Fri: 9.30am – 5:30pm
Closed all Public Holidays
Starting Monday 4 February we will be trialing an earlier opening time of 9am, instead of 9.30am and an earlier closing time of 5pm, instead of 5.30.
Becoming a member
- Membership is free if you are a permanent resident of Kaikōura or $45 annual subscription if you live elsewhere (visitor membership).
- You can collect a form from the library in person if you prefer.
- To complete your application, you will need to provide photo proof of ID and a form of proof of address e.g. power bill or bank statement.
Please keep your card safe and remember to bring it with you each time you visit.
Lost or damaged cards can be replaced for a small fee of $5.
Items may be returned through the book return slot located near the main doors of the Civic Centre on the ground floor or at the front desk during business hours.
21 days unless otherwise stated. Some magazines and DVDs are 7 day loan period.
Items may be renewed twice providing they are not reserved for another borrower. Any rental or overdue charges will be payable on your next visit.
Reserving an item
The cost to reserve an item is $1.00.
Kaikōura District Library has a new online catalogue where you can browse and search every item that the library holds.
Library members with an email address will soon be able to log in and reserve, request or renew items or update their account information. If you're already a member and want access to the online library, just email your name and library membership number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To complete your application, you will need to provide photo proof of ID and a form of proof of address e.g. power bill or bank statement. This can be uploaded to your online application form, or given, posted or emailed to the Library once a membership application form has been filled out.
Provide copies of your proof of ID and address to:
- PO Box 6, Kaikōura 7340 (postal)
- 96 West End, Kaikōura (03) 319 6280 (in person)
Please only send COPIES of these documents in the post. They will not be returned to you.
You will be issued a library card on the same day that you provide the proof of ID and address, and can start borrowing straight away.
Logging in for the first time and changing your password
When you become a member of the library and provide your email address, you are automatically assigned a password to log in to our online catalogue and access your account information.
1. Go to Library catalogue site: http://ic.softlinkhosting.co.nz/kaikoura/
2. The first time you log in, enter your library car number (image 1 below) as the username in the 'member login' box (image 2 below).
3. Enter kaikoura as the password in the login box on the left side of the home page (image above)
4. This will then take you to the member's home page. On the left hand menu, click 'Change Password' (image 3 below).
5. Enter your new password in the boxes provided and then click 'Submit' (image 4 below).
Your password in now changed. Use your new password next time you log in.
Spark Jump is a new low-cost, pre-pay internet service for families with children under the age of 18. The service is subsidised by the Spark Foundation and offered through local partners in Spark Jump coverage areas. The Library can help set this service up for eligible families. Call them now on 03 319 6280 or pop in to register for a one on one tutorial and to collect everything you need for low cost internet at home!
Mondays 10.20-11.30am during school term time. Songs, stories and activities for pre-schoolers.
A free, community based service to help adults build their basic computer skills. Courses include Trademe, Word, Google Drive, Photobooks, Facebook, Youtube, Computer basics, Google and the internet, Email and Pinterest.
Wednesday 5.30pm. $5 per person.
Tuesdays (every 2nd and 4th of the month) 1-4pm. Free to attend.
Available to all library members.
Help by appointment. Wednesdays in the library. Use the computers and get assistance to the Ancestry database. Call 319 6280 to make your appointment or email email@example.com.
Bring a puzzle into the library and take a new one home, or borrow one for the first time.
Wednesdays 1-3pm during winter. Bring your own game to share or use one that the library has. Meet and play with other people - everyone welcome.
- Inter-library loan – we can borrow an item from another NZ library on your behalf *charges apply
- Second hand books and magazines for sale
- Talking books
- Large print books
- Reserves system to hold that special book for you when it is returned from another borrower
- Online Public Access Computer enabling you to search the library database
- Scholarship database that you can browse through, using your Library card.
Find out more information here.
- Internet and Email access *charges may apply
- Word and Excel
- Photocopying (B&W or Colour), printing, scanning and laminating
- Kaikōura District Council and Regional Council documents including council meeting agendas and electoral rolls.
- Toy Library, puzzles and children’s programmes
- Book covering & minor repairs *charges apply
- Local History - Kaikōura collection
Fees and charges
02 October 2018