Parking & Traffic Control
This page contains information about the management of parking and traffic in the Kaikōura District including our parking rules, how to pay parking fines and traffic requirements for events.
Council is responsible for managing the safe and efficient use of the District’s roads and is on a journey to improve parking throughout the district.
Current parking areas and rules
All parking rules apply from 8.30am- 5.30pm.
Kaikōura has several areas where parking or other traffic rules and restrictions apply. For full information please call 03 319 5026.
Parking fees and charges
- charges for parking may be applied on Saturday, Sundays and Statutory public holidays.
- Monthly permit (May – September incl only) $50.00/month
- Annual permit (Limited to 15 permits annually) or $650.00/year
How to pay your parking fine
- By mail - send a cheque to Kaikōura District Council office, Level 2, 96 West End, Kaikōura. Please include a cover note that lists the ticket number and licence plate number.
- Over the counter - bring your cheque, cash, or eftpos to the Kaikōura District Council office, Level 2, 96 West End, Kaikoura .
- Online - make a direct credit to Kaikōura District Council account number 02-0856-0011698-000. Please use ticket number and licence plate number as reference.
- International bank transfer - to make a direct credit transfer from an account outside of New Zealand (international bank transfer), you will need to provide Council’s account name (Kaikōura District Council), Council’s address (96 West End, Kaikōura), Council’s full account number (02-0856-0011698-000), Council’s bank details (Bank of New Zealand, Wellington, New Zealand) and the SWIFT BIC code (BKNZNZ22). Find out more about making a direct credit from an overseas bank account here.
Disputing Parking Fines
If you wish to dispute a parking fine, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 03 319 5026.
- the ticket number
- the vehicle registration
- your name and address
- the reason you are disputing the fine
Once your email is recieved, someone will be in touch as soon as possible.