Council Annual Discretionary Fund
The fund will be open for applications from Friday 1st March 2024 closing on Thursday 28th March 2024. Decisions will be made by the Council on Wednesday 24th April 2024.
Please ensure you meet all the criteria before applying.
The Discretionary Fund is managed independently by the Mayor & Councillors. Please email email@example.com if you have questions about this fund.
The Council acknowledges the contribution of not-for-profit organisations in providing essential services which assist in developing the community at large. The Council's role is to respond to community needs by providing funding assistance where no other funding support is available.
The fund has an overall budget of $100,000, to be allocated by the Council at the Council’s absolute discretion, which may include the timing of payments. The full budget amount does not need to be fully allocated. Unallocated funds shall not be carried over to subsequent years.
Organisations wanting to apply for funding assistance must meet the following criteria:
- Be a not-for-profit organisation
- Provide services to the wider community or specific sectors in the Kaikoura community (any National or Regional organisation applying must refer specifically to Kaikoura costings and benefit)
- Be able to supply verified Annual Accounts
- Provide verification of charitable status (if applicable)
- Account for expenditure of funds specifically for grant received (this will affect eligibility for any future grants)
- There must be a contribution from the applicant towards the cost of the activity applied for. This can be from the applicant’s own funds, grants from other sources, volunteer time or donated materials.
Please click on the link below for detailed criteria information.
Who can apply
The Council will consider requests for funding from not-for-profit community organisations providing services in the following categories (in no order of priority) and who meet the above criteria:
- Arts & Culture
- Community Facilities
- Community Welfare and Social Services
- Sport and Recreation
- Other at the discretion of the Counci
The Council Discretionary Grants scheme will open 1 March annually, and close in time for funding decisions to be made at a full Council meeting no later than 30 April annually, for payments to successful applicants after 1 July (the next financial year).
The Council’s decision on all allocation of funds will be final.
What Cannot be funded
- Conventions, conferences, and reunions
- School based curriculum programmes
- Retrospective funding
- All travel or costs associated with events outside of Kaikoura including overseas travel
- Projects that have already received Council funding including through contracts and partnership agreements for the same activity within the same financial year.
- Food and catering
- Fundraising events
- Projects which better fit the criteria of other Council related funds available (such as the George Low Fund, Creative Communities, Sport NZ rural travel, Significant Natural Areas fund, Kaikōura Initiatives Fund, and others).
What Can be funded
- One application per organisation per year can be considered for funding
- Projects must be of direct benefit to people of the Kaikoura district
- Community facilities including Council-owned and non-Council owned facilities.
- Activity that can be considered for funding include (but are not limited to):
- Operating costs
- Funding for unforeseen circumstances
- Seeding funding for new projects/programmes
- Volunteer expenses
- Repairs and maintenance for community facilities
- Training/workshops with a community development focus that are open to the public
- Non-school-based educational programmes
- Consultancy fees towards activities such as feasibility studies or engineers reports for community projects